Setauket Presbyterian Church Director of Spiritual Formation
The Setauket Presbyterian Church, established in 1660, celebrates the gifts, worth and dignity of each person. Open to all people because we believe everyone is created in God’s image, SPC is a place to deepen faith, share God’s love, and create community.
The Director of Spiritual Formation shepherds disciples of all ages towards a deeper connection with God. The Director is an experienced educational leader who can creatively engage children and adults together in an intergenerational community of faith. The Director also works on the integration of newcomers and redeployment of existing congregants into the mission and ministry of the church.
This is a 3/4 time (30 hrs/wk) salaried position.
Accountable to the session, under the supervision of the pastor as head of staff
As detailed below, the Director of Spiritual Formation serves as staff support for various committees, which are made of volunteer members of the congregation.
- Cultivate and oversee church culture of discipleship, acting as staff support for Christian Education and Adult Education Committees
- Develop & implement spiritual formation practices for the church as an intergenerational community
- Research & support education curricula for Church School (Pre-K-6th Grade)
- Research & guide programming for youth (7th Grade and beyond), including a weekly youth group and annual mission trips
- Nurture church school teachers and youth leaders
- Research & help organize education curricula and practices for weekly adult education classes
- Oversee & continue building the Small Group ministry and other faith formation initiatives
- Shepherd spiritual gifts assessment, acting as staff support for Membership and Nominating Committees
- Support new member integration into life of the church
- Integrate current members into church mission and ministry
- Serve as designated staff support for background checks and training in SPC Child and Youth Protection Policy
- Attend staff and session meetings as a part of church leadership team
- Duties as assigned by Session and senior pastor as the church continues to grow and respond to growth and changing needs of congregants
- Certified Christian Educator or equivalent professional development in programs of Spiritual Formation
- Spiritual maturity
- Ability to maintain healthy boundaries
- Ability to work collaboratively with other leaders
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience in developing and leading ministries of spiritual formation for all ages
- Ability to translate Reformed Theology into meaningful programs
- Understanding of & experience engaging with congregations as emotional systems
Interested candidates should please send a cover letter, resume, and two-three references to [email protected].